Friday, October 29, 2010

I'm an American


Subject: I'm an American


I am an American Mom.  I grew up in Idaho on a cattle ranch.  My father was up before the sun and many times still out after the sun went down.  I am the youngest of five.  When I was still a toddler my mother went to nursing school, in order to be able to help support my father and the ranch.  We didn't have a lot, but I don't remember feeling like we didn't.  My mother worked nights as a nurse and my father worked the ranch during the day.  I can't say I remember ever thinking, "when I grow up I'm going to be rich and have more than my parents had.  I'm going to be able to give my children more".  We were happy!  
I did grow up, I got married and I had my own children.  The first few years of my married life were tough financially.  My husband was in college, playing football, tutoring, and I was pregnant!  He worked so hard to provide for us, for me, what we needed.  That's the American way!  Everything wasn't handed to us.  We had to earn it!  
Our children are grown now.  They grew up doing the usual American things.  Football, basketball, swimming, track, piano, academic competitions, and video games.  They mowed lawns, took out trash, shoveled the drive way, babysat, had part time jobs and went onto college and marriage.  We taught them to love their country and God who created it.  To appreciate what they have and to be happy with what they have.  I don't mean to settle for what they have, be it great or little, but to be happy! Live for the moments you are in.
When did America change?..  When did it become so important to have "things" that we started spending money we dont have? When did it become ok to just sit back and let those who "have" provide for those who "haven't"?  When did the taxes we pay start providing a living for people who aren't even American's?  Don't get me wrong...I have no problem with helping the those truly in need.  I have a problem providing for those who refuse to provide for themselves and especially those who have never even paid taxes!  
To me a Welfare system should be just like what we did with our children.  You need money for a bike...I've got just the job for you!  That bike was taken care of and appreciated way more than if it had just been given to them.  We've become a "Free Society".  Why work for some thing you can get for free.  I've been living in Beijing for three weeks now, my husband will be working on a project here for awhile.  I find it fascinating that with the millions of people here that there is No Welfare! The government pays people to do all kinds of jobs though!  There are people out sweeping the streets, trimming bushes, ect.  These people have self respect.  They recycle everything here.  There are so many people riding around on three wheeled bicycles stacked with hundreds of pounds of cardboard and anything else that recycles to take to the recycling centers at the end of the day.  That's how many of the poor people make money.  I remember when I was pregnant with my first child we would walk for miles collecting soda cans to take in to the recycling center. We needed the money...it was an honest way to get a few extra bucks.
If we want to get back to where we were about 30 or more years ago, we need to start remembering what it was.  We need to start teaching our children and grandchildren not only the value of a dollar, but they they have value and something to offer.  It all begins at home people!  If we sit around and just complain about everything we don't like....our children and grandchildren will do the same thing.  It's time to stand up for what we believe in!  To let everyone one who will hear know that we are One Nation Under God and it is in that God That We Trust.  We truly live in a Land of Promise that has become a Land of False Promises!  We can't just wait for someone else to do something about it.  Make a stand, be heard, support those who run for office that you believe in, heck... Run for office yourself!  If you want someone to do the dishes, you can leave them in the sink for a week or two...or you can just do them yourself.  This country was founded by those who stood up and took action.  What will you do?  Will you be heard, will you participate, will you vote?
I Am an American...I believe in America...But I'm not so intellectually challenged that I can't see that she is in big trouble.  Let's get back what we hold to be so important...Our Freedom...something our Forefathers fought and died for.  That Freedom that so many young men and women are fighting for today!!  May God Bless Us in our endeavors to Re-take Back America.       
Sent from Julie's IPad

No comments:

Post a Comment